Julian Simpson-Smith is the son of Robin Simpson-Smith. He was born into the business, working alongside his father and in the pit lane as soon as the lad could walk! It was in those early years that he learnt key skills such as machining and fabrication of composites, as well as preparing and building race cars such as Le Mans Matrix project and Ferrari 348 works car. After studying at Swansea for the HND in Automotive Engineering, he decided to broaden his experience outside of the family business, and joined the Red Bull F3000 race team in Austria in 1999 to work with the great Dr Helmut Marko of F1 and Le Mans fame as No.2 mechanic, who now runs all of the Red Bull drivers. Here he further expanded his carbon and metal fabrication skills as well as becoming a specialist at rebuilding gearboxes. In 2000 he moved on to join Multimatic Motorsports in Toronto, Canada. There he worked on a wide number of difficult preparation projects for cars running at Le Mans, Sebring 12hr and Daytona 24hr races. These included Lola SR1, SR2 and LMP 675, Dodge Viper and Porsche GT1 cars. At his time there he continued to greatly expand his fabrication and engineering skills, as well as being No.1 mechanic for lots of the races, including at Le Mans. In 2001, Julian decided to return to Blighty to join Team Ascari to build and run their second Le Mans car. He was heavily involved in the development of the BMW M5 5.0 litre based turbo engine cars as well as the Judd engined ones. By this point Julian worked on every aspect of design, engineering and fabrication, including suspension design and build of dampers, which is where he first used the excellent Intrax dampers.
Like the return of the prodigal son, Julian decided to return to Simpson Motorsport at the start of 2003 to work alongside Robin and Anthony.
· 2006 EERC Britcar, Euro Trucks
· 2005 EERC Britcar, Vallelunga 6hr, British GT, Euro Trucks
· 2004 EERC Britcar, Vallelunga 6hr
· 2003 EERC Britcar, Vallelunga 6hr, British GT, Porsche Open & Club
· 2002 24hr Le Mans, 12hr Sebring (6th Overall), 24hr Daytona
· 2001 FIA Sportscar Championship (2nd Overall), Le Mans 24hr,
· 2001 Daytona 24hr (5th Overall)
· 2000 Daytona 24hr, Sebring 1hr, Le Mans 24hr (1st in class), ALMS
· 1999 6 FIA F3000 races, Nurburgring ISRS all with Red Bull
· 1998 ISRS, Formula Renault Spiders & Sport
· 1997 Le Mans (Matrix), BARC Formula 1700 (Champions)
· 1997 Ferrari 348LM in British GT
Julian has a particular passion for fabrication and suspension, and is fond of the odd gearbox. He loves life in the pit lane especially at difficult events such as 24hr races. Outside of Motor Sport and cars only women and beer hold any interest for this accomplished engineer. No surprise there then!